A Game of Two Halves

Sharp passing and clinical finishing gave Inverness Caley Thistle the victory.

  • 1   4

Tuesday 4th July

Pre Season Friendly

A lovely balmy summers evening greeted the players and supporters and a good crowd turned out to see this interesting preseason friendly.

The visitors fielded a strong side of regulars including some trialists with an excellent pedigree, whilst home supporters had their first opportunity to view summer signings Nicolson and Gunn.

After a first half shaded by Brora Rangers, Inverness Caley Thistle took control of a one sided second half to run out very comfortable winners in the pre-season friendly at Dudgeon Park on Tuesday evening.

Brora Rangers started the brighter with the central midfield pairing of Nicolson and Morrison quickly getting the manorship of their turf and establishing themselves as playmakers.

The back line of MacDonald, Williamson, Duff and Ross whilst tested, coped well with the quick, tricky Caley forwards especially Baird and Mulraney both of whom will trouble many championship defences this season.

Brora took a deserved lead in 20 minutes after the industrious Macleod controlled a long ball well, shook off the attentions of Draper and finished with well placed shot past Ridgers in the visitors goal from 20 yards.

Brora continued to attack with Ross and MacDonald pressing from deep down the flanks, and both Nicolson and Duff were unlucky not to add further to the Cattachs lead.

Against the run of play, Inverness equalised when Ex Falkirk man John Baird scored from the penalty spot after Jake Mulraney was brought down by James Ross in the box. Mulraney was dangerous all night and Brora could have little disagreement with the referees decision.

Martin Maclean replaced Gavin Morrison who had to be taken off due to a head knock, and it was he who lost possession on the edge of his box which allowed Caley to take the lead following a neat interchange of passes which allowed Baird to place the ball outwith the reach of Joe Malin.

Inverness continued to dominate proceedings with some lovely neat short passes and it was Baird again who added his third as the Brora resistance crumbled. With 15 minutes remaining new Caley signing from AFC Wimbledon, Oakley, made it 4 with a well taken finish.

As Brora tired Caley took control of the park and could have had a 5th but Draper saw his shot cannon off the underside of the bar.

The home side created very little in the second half, although substitute Scott Lisle did create a good opening but finished poorly. The Caley back four had little trouble with the Brora attacking threat and only a brace of long range wayward efforts were offered, failing to trouble the visiting keeper.

Inverness will be pleased with their performance which was highlighted by some great passing and running off the ball, and Manager John Robertson will be pleased with the outcome, especially the effectiveness of how his players linked up.

Ross Tokely will reflect on a game of two halves. The first half Brora looked every bit as good as their opponents, but the second half has certainly left plenty for Ross, The Doc and Alan to work on.

Up next on Saturday is an Aberdeen X1 and opportunity for the Cattachs to come roaring back.